Hexigten Banner has a long history and most of the cultural relics unearthed here belong to “Hongshan culture” and “Xiajiadian culture”. It was the habitat of Xia and early Shang periods, and such nationalities as Donghu, Xiongnu, Niaohuan, Xianbei, Qidan, Mongolia, and Han, lived and multiplied on this land successively and created together the developed ancient civilization of the north.
In Xia and early Shang period, Shang nationality lived here. It is recorded in Xunzi·Chengxiang, “Qi Xuanwang was born in Zhaoming, lived in Dishi, and migrated to Shang. When he was fourteen, he gave birth to Tianyi who was named Chengtang.” Dishi is currently Huotebile (which has the meaning of city) at the origin of Baicha River in the south of Hexigten Banner. Shang nationality migrated southwards and changed to Shanrong and Donghudi until late Qin dynasty.
In the first year of Gaozu’s region of Western Han dynasty (206 BC), Hun people defeated Donghu and this county belonged to the Hun people. “In autumn, horses of the Hun people are strong, and they met in Lin and raced horses” (Lin is Hanba in the south of the county). After the middle period, the south belonged to Niaohuan, and the north belonged to Xian.
At the 25th year of Jianwu’s reign of the Easter Han dynasty (49 AD), Niaohuan migrated southwards and changed to Xiandi. It belonged to Liaoxi Xian, and then belonged to Yuwen Xian, and by the end of Eastern Jin dynasty it belonged to Murong Xian.
During the period of sixteen kingdoms, the south belonged to Kumoxi and the north belonged to Qidan. During the dynasty of southern and northern, the whole county belonged to Kumoxi, and in Sui dynasty, the south belonged to Qidan, and the north belonged to.
In the 25th year of Zhenguan’s reign of Tang dynasty (648), Daheshi Yelegeku, the leader of Qidan, led its nation to surrender to Tang, and Tang divided it into Hebeidao and established Jimi Office. This county belonged to Songmo Dudufu. In Anshi Rebellion, Tang lost the control of Qidan, and this county belonged to Qidan again in the five dynasties.
Liao belonged to Shangjing Prefecture, with states and counties below, and southeast of the county belonged to Raozhou with two counties, namely Linhe (whose government was located at current Moliheitu) and Anmin (whose government was located at current Tuchengzi). The south was Yikunzhou (whose government was located at current Yushulinzi of Wanheyong Town) which governed Laiyuan and Guangyi counties. In the 13th year of Tonghe’s regin (995), Laiyuan in merged into Guangyi. Residents of Rao and Yi migrated from Bohai Sea.
Jin changed Shangjing Prefecture into Beijing District in the first year of Tianjuan’s regin (1138) and governed this place. In the 3rd year of Cheng’an’s reign (1199), Quanzhou (whose government was located at current Wudan) was built and this county belonged to it.
In the 9th year of Mongolia Taizu’s reign (1214), Genghis Khan stayed at Yuerluo (current Dali Lake) for summer, and he awarded west of the county and the north to Anchen, the oldest son of Te Xuechan, the northeast (north from current Reshuitang) to Ahutai, the second son of Te, and the middle south (south from Xilamulun River and noth of Weichang County) to Ce, the third son of Te, in order to tame Hongji Lashi “Ci Nongshi”, the minister of Middle China. The whole county was then the private domain.
By the 7th year of Yuan dynasty (1270), Hongji Lashi and Wo Luochen, a ten thousand householder, established a lake (current Dali Lake) at the place where he was stationed and built Yingchang City which was promoted to a prefecture in the 22nd year (1258) and governed Yingchang County.
In Ming dynasty, it was occupied by the Northern Yuan at first, and in 21st year of Hongwu’ reign (1388), Lan Yu, a general of Ming dynasty, took Yingchang and changed its name into Qingping Town which was governed by Yingchang District of Daning Dusi (an independent bureau). And later, it belonged to Duoyan District of the three districts of Wuliangha. In the first year of Zhengde (1506), Batu Mengke Dayanhan, leader of Tartar, conquered Wuliangha and established Tumens of left and right wings of the south of Mo, and this county belonged to Tumen of the left wing Wuliangha. In 22nd year of Jiajing’s reign (1543), Tumen of Wuliangha separated. And in 20th year of Jiajing's reign (1550), Da Lai Xun Ku Deng Han, Mongolian Emperor, moved eastwards. This county belonged to Chahaer District.
In the 8th year of Tiancong’reign of late Jin dynasty (1634), Hexigten surrendered to late Jin dynasty. In 9th year of Shunzhi’s reign (1652), government of Qing dynasty edited Hexigten as Hexigten Banner which belonged to Zhaowuda league.
In the 5th year of Daoguan’ reign (1825), Baicha Polling Bureau was established to govern Han people and which belonged to Duolunnuoer Department, which means that the area of Han people belonged to Duolunnuoer, and the area of Mongolian still belonged to Zhaowuda league.
In the second year of the Republic of China (1913), Baiping bureau was revoked and Jingpeng Administrative Bureau was established. In November of the next year, the Administrative Bureau was changed to Jingpeng County which belonged to Rehe Special District.
During the Puppet Manchuria period, in May of the second year of Datong’s reign (1933), Japanese army taken Jingpeng, and in the January of the first year of Kangde's reign (1934), Jingpeng County was revoked and merged into Hexigten Banner, belonging to West Xing’an Province (Kailu). And in the 10th year of Kangde’s reign (1943), West Xing’an Province was revoked and merged into Xing’an Province (Hailaer) and this county belonged to it.
It was recovered on August 16, 1945, and a peace preservation association was established with the participation of Soviet army. On December 1st, Hexigten Banner and government of Jingpeng County were established at the same time, belong to Rebei Administrative Office.
In March of 1948, Jingpeng County was revoked and merged into Hexigten Banner, belonging to Zhaowuda league.
Since the midnight of July 27, 1969, it was divided into Liaoning Province together with Zhaowuda league and returned back to Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region again on July 1, 1979.
In 1983, Zhaowuda league was revoked and Chifeng City was built, to which Hexigten Banner belongs.
Hexigten means “imperial army” and “armed escort” in Chinese.
It was recorded in Confidential History of Mongolia that: in 1204, Genghis Khan gave an order while crusaded against Naiman District, “strengthen Hexigten to make the main force of Mongolian army.” Therefore, he chose 550 excellent people from thousand householder, hundred householder, and children of free people and awarded guarding station (Hexigten) to them and took them as the guard army. Hexigten is the imperial and armed escort of Genghis Kahn, and the four outstanding persons, Mu Huali, Chi Laowen, etc., of Genghis Khan as the leader of the army. Yingchang District was established in Ming dynasty. In 1652, the government of Qing dynasty edited Hexigten District as Hexigten Banner. In the third year of the Republic of China (1914), Jingpeng County was established and belonged to Rehe Prefecture of Rehe Special District. In December of 1945, people’s government of Hexigten Banner was built and which returned to the governance of Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region in May of 1949.